- Ph.D. Studies
© OpenStreetMap, CC BY-SA
IGSO PAS Toruń
Kopernika 19, 87-100 Toruń
phone (48-56) 622-85-20
How to get there (public transport)
The Department of Environmental Resources and Geohazards has been long known as the Department of Geomorphology and Hydrology of Lowlands (until the middle of 2011). This research unit was established on 15th November 1953 initially as the Laboratory of Geomorphological and Hydrographic Map. Its organizer and first head was Prof. Rajmund Galon. Initially, its basic task was to conduct a detailed geomorphological and hydrographic mapping in North Poland. This mapping was conducted by the first staff of the Department: Mieczysław Liberacki, Tadeusz Murawski, Tadeusz Celmer and Jan Szupryczyński. Mapping was performed in the areas: Dobrzyńskie and Krajeńskie Highland, the Brda River plain outwash, the old valley of the Noteć-Warta Rivers. As a result of detailed studies, new data were obtained concerning the course of deglaciation in the time of the last Pleistocene glacial cycle within the area of Polish Lowland.
In the midlle of 1968, Prof. Jan Szupryczyński took charge of the Department. Since 1969, studies has been initiated on the Włocławek water reservoir and its surroundings. The main research problem was to investigate the effects of this hydrotechnical object on the geographical environment of the Vistula River Valley.
Simultaneously, the research studies were conducted that related to evolution of the Lower Vistual River, as well as to Vistulian stratigraphy on the surrounding areas (Eugeniusz Drozdowski). In 2004, Assoc. Prof. Mirosława Błaszkiewicz became the head of our Department.
Among most remarkable achievements of the Department are: