Monitoring changes of traffic-generating potentials and determinants of the distribution of freight traffic on the network of Polish roads in the years 2005-2015 (HGV-Monit)
Supervisor: Tomasz Komornicki
The main objective of the project, which is of a cognitive and methodological nature, is to determine the traffic-generating potentials for poviats/subregions (depending on data availability) and identify those sections of national roads where the infrastructural, organisational, legal and formal, geopolitical and logistical determinants lead to differences between the actual distribution of freight traffic on the network of extraurban national roads and the distribution typical for Poland and calculated in the framework of this project (both in positive and negative terms).
The supplementary objective (related to application and methodology) is to propose a research methodology for forecasting truck traffic on the network of extraurban national roads for Poland as a whole, taking into account infrastructural, organisational, legal and formal, geopolitical and logistical determinants. In the future, the proposed methodology will allow establishing the principles for forecasting freight carriage on the road network for the entire country based on the observation of specific determinants of the distribution of truck traffic on the network of national roads and spatial distribution of traffic-generating potentials (economic, logistical and facility-related).
Research hypothesis: In 2005-2015, Poland saw significant changes in the infrastructural, organisational, formal and legal, geopolitical and logistical conditions, which largely determined the spatial distribution of truck traffic, leading to traffic concentration on motorways and expressways and along the major longitudinal and latitudinal road corridors, as well as on roads running diagonally. The spatial distribution and volume structure of freight traffic was largely determined by the location of logistic centres, warehouses and retail centres, logistical interconnections, supply chains and decline of rail transport (modal split changes). The differences between the actual freight traffic volume and the volume determined by the gravity model will be negative (relative to network traffic distribution as established by the gravity model) along those sections of national roads that run far from the main traffic routes and major logistical centres, as well as in agglomerations, where organisational and legal and formal conditions result in lower freight traffic (except for light commercial vehicles). Higher traffic will be seen on motorways, notably their sections not covered by concessions.
Abstracts, reviews, notes
- Komornicki Tomasz: Spatial accessibility and heavy goods vehicle traffic vs. Poland’s trade linkages. [w]: Shaping our Harmonious World. 33rd International Geographical Congress, 21-25 August, Beijing, China. Beijing: International Geographical Union, 2016 - s. 2495.
- Komornicki Tomasz, Rosik Piotr: Changes in the traffic of heavy goods vehicles through the Polish eastern border against the backdrop of road infrastructure development and geopolitical situation. [w]: Resilient and Inclusive Transportation Systems through Smarter Mobility. EASTS 2015 Conference, 11-14 September, Cebu City, Philippines. Cebu: EASTS, 2015 - 1 s. [na CD-ROM]
- Rosik Piotr, Komornicki Tomasz, Goliszek Sławomir: Modelowanie dostępności i mobilności w kontekście zróżnicowań regionalnych liczby ludności, PKB i spółek prawa handlowego. [w]: Problematyka 31. Międzynarodowej Konferencji Naukowej nt. "Międzynarodowe uwarunkowania rozwoju przemysłu i usług". Red. Zbigniew Zioło, Wioletta Kilar. Kraków-Warszawa: Zakład Przedsiębiorczości i Gospodarki Przestrzennej. Instytut Geografii. Uniwersytet Pedagogiczny im. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej w Krakowie; Komisja Geografii Przemysłu PTG, 2015 - s. 76.
- Komornicki Tomasz, Wiśniewski Rafał: Border traffic as a measure of trans-border relations. - Mitteilungen der Österreichischen Geographischen Gesellschaft 2017, 159 - s. 151-172.
- Komornicki Tomasz: Zmiany w ruchu przez polską granicę wschodnią w roku 2014 na tle sytuacji geopolitycznej. - Prace i Studia geograficzne 2016, 61 1 - s. 103-119.