Graph-theory based landscape structure analysis: development of the new analytic tool (GraphScape software), definition of the new family of graph-based configuration metrics, and substances/organisms mobility models
Supervisor: Jerzy Solon
Orderer institution: Narodowe Centrum Nauki
The main aims of the project are the following:
A. The development of the new analytic tool (GraphScape software), more flexible than present applications, and allowing to study formal structure of the graph representing a given landscape, as well as to calculate a bunch of different structural and functional (connectivity and similar) landscape graph metrics.B. The definition (together with characteristics of ecological meaning) of the new family of configuration metrics (graph metrics).C. Comparative analysis of different models (expressed by different measures and indices) of the mobility of substances and organisms across a landscape.
The above objectives are connected to the following hypotheses:
- the formal adjacency structure and types of graphs are proxy indicators for spatially explicit population models,
- different types of spatial structure are repeatable across different types of landscapes,
- there is a relationship between the level of human pressure and the neighborhood structure and types of graphs representing the landscape,
- because of their spatial location within the graph some nodes (patches) are more important than others for preserving the connectivity and permeability for different groups of organisms,
- the role of nodes and paths depends on the model and indices applied.
Expected impact of the research project on the development of science, civilization and society
The present research project will fill the gap between the classical methods of describing spatial configuration, based on patch metrics and methods focused on functional connectivity within the landscape. Moreover, it should satisfy the following criteria: (1) a focus on the spatial configuration of patches, corridors and matrix as basic elements of the landscape; (2) a focus on interactions of fluxes between elements; and (3) direct comparison of the first two characteristics at any scale in any landscape.
The original output from the project will include:
- a new flexible tool (GraphScape software) better that these existing today, based on full adjacency matrix, generated from polygon (not raster) landscape map, usefull for solving theoretical and practical problems in the field of landscape ecology and nature conservation,
- additional, new graph-based landscape metrics,
- new knowledge about the relationship between indices from different groups.
Abstracts, reviews, notes
- Pomianowski Wojciech, Solon Jerzy: Minimum spanning tree in landscape mosaic. [w]: Shaping our Harmonious World. 33rd International Geographical Congress, 21-25 August, Beijing, China. Beijing: International Geographical Union, 2016 - s. 1985.
- Solon Jerzy, Pomianowski Wojciech: Program „GraphScape” – nowe narzędzie do analizy struktury przestrzennej i stopnia łączności w obrębie krajobrazu. [w]: Ogólnopolska Konferencja Naukowa „Krajobraz z Komputera”. Abstrakty referatów i posterów. Red. Edyta Regulska, Jerzy Solon. Warszawa: IGiPZ PAN; PAEK, 2014 - s. 45-46.