|Prof. Jerzy Solon
- 1973-1978 – Master’s degree studies: University of Warsaw, Faculty of Biology – specialty in environmental biology (Master’s thesis: Some of the substitute communities for Potentillo albae-Quercetum in the vicinity of Korytowo).
Academic career and degrees
Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization PAS, since 1977
- 1988 – PHD in natural sciences in the field of geography (a doctoral dissertation entitled: Spatial structure of vegetation in the Wigry Lakes region).
- 2003 – a habilitated (post-doctoral) degree in Earth Sciences in the field of geography (post-doctoral dissertation entitled: Evaluation of landscape diversity based on the analysis of vegetation spatial structure).
- 2014 - Professor of Earth Sciences.
- 2010-2015 – head of the Doctoral Studies in the Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization PAS
Phytosociology, plant ecology, landscape ecology, and in particular:
- spatial structure of actual vegetation and its abiotic and anthropogenic factors,
- vegetation spatial structure serving as a basis for differentiating among landscape units of different levels,
- indicative role of vegetation in a landscape,
- landscape stability vs. diversity of its constituent parts,
- ecological and landscape indicators of sustainable development,
- use of landscape ecology in environment protection,
- structural and functional transformations of agricultural landscapes.
Awards and distinctions
- 1984 – Award granted by a Sciences Secretary PAS for participation in carrying out the research study: Geoecological study of the Wigry Lakes region.
- 1989 – Award granted by a Sciences Secretary PAS for a study: Vegetation spatial structure in the vicinity of the Wigry Lakes.
- 1995 – Award granted by a Minister of National Education for coauthoring the academic textbook Landscape ecology.
Other prizes and distinctions
- 1978 – Bronze Cross of Merit for social involvement in environment protection.
- 1982 – Silver Honorary Badge “For merits to Warsaw” awarded for social involvement in environment protection.
- 1983 – Golden Honorary Badge of Environmental Protection League for social involvement in environment protection.
- 1987 – Silver Cross of Merit for social involvement in environment protection.
- 2005 – Honorary badge of the Ministry of Environment “A Person of Merit for his Activity on behalf of Protection of Environment and Water Management”.
- 2014 - Jerzy Kondracki Honorary Medal "For merits to Department of Geography and Regional Studies of Warsaw University"
Positions held and membership
Membership in Scientific Councils, Committees of Polish Academy of Sciences, other Councils and Committees
- since 1995 – a member of the Scientific Council of the Kampinos National Park, and since 2005 – its chairman
- since 2000 – a member of the Scientific Council of the Biebrza National Park
- since 2004 – a member of the Scientific Council at the Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization PAS
- since 2005 – a member of the Scientific Council of the Wigry National Park
- since 2014 - a member of the Masovian Regional Council for Nature Conservation
Activity in organizations and scientific societies
- since 1993 – a member of the Executive Board of the Polish Association for Landscape Ecology
Participation in major expert projects
- 1991 – Plan of protection of municipalities: Kraśniczyn, Krasnystaw, Łopiennik, Siennica Różana – as a person responsible for analysis, evaluation and prognosis of vegetation.
- 1993-1996 – Plan of Protection of the Kampinos National Park – as an coordinator and main executor of the operating programme for protection of land ecosystems.
- 1995-1999 – Plan of Protection of the Wigry National Park – as a co-coordinator of the whole Plan and one of the executors of several of the operating programmes.
- 1997 – 2000 – The Conception of ground cover monitoring within the framework of the system for monitoring of forest health.
- 2000-2002 – Plan of Protection of the Bory Tucholskie National Park.
- 2008 – Operating programme for protection of vegetation in the Chęciny-Kielce Landscape Park. Part 1 Diagnosis.
- 2008 – Evaluation of the values of nature and of the actual state of vegetation for the Nature-Landscape Protected Complex “Wydmy Międzyborskie”.
Scientific/Research training programmes
- 1982 – Institute of Geography, Hungarian Academy of Sciences – in the field of landscape geography.
- 1982 - International Institute for Aerial Survey and Earth Sciences (ITC), Enschede, The Netherlands – in the field of geographical landscape analysis.
- 1990 – Department of Geography, Faculty of Philosophy, the University of Zaragoza, Spain – in the field of landscape geography and plant ecology.
Major presentations delivered in international forums
In total, in the period 1979-2013, participation in more than 60 congresses, conferences, symposia and seminars (among others, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Israel, Spain, Moldova, Germany, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Hungary, UK, Italy, Russia, former USSR republics, including as follows:
- Symposia of the International Association for Vegetation Science – IAVS: 1991 – Eger, 1993, Tenerife, 1996 – Lancaster
- Symposia and Congresses of the International Association for Landscape Ecology - IALE): 1991 - Roskilde, 1993 - Rennes, 1995 - Tuluza, 2000 - Roskilde.
- The European Ecological Congress: 1992 – Marseille
- The International Ecological Congress: 1998 – Florence
- Congress of Ecological Society of America: 2001 - Madison
- since 2008 – Journal of Landscape Ecology published in Brno by the Czech branch of IALE – a member of the Editorial Board
- since 2008 – Problemy Ekologii Krajobrazu published by the Polish Association of Landscape Ecology – a member of the Program Council
Teaching activity (lectures)
- 1995-2012 – Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies, Warsaw University and Interdepartmental Studies of Environment Protection, Warsaw University (“Landscape ecology”)
- 1996-2000 – Postgraduate Study of Environment Protection, Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Warsaw University of Life Sciences- SGGW (“Landscape ecology”)
- 1997-2000 – Postgraduate Study of Protection of National Parks, Forest faculty, Warsaw University of Life Sciences- SGGW (“Protection of non-forest ecosystems”)
- 1998-2000 – Pułtusk Academy of Humanities (“Mazovian vegetation”)
- 1998- 2001 – Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies, University of Warsaw (“Vegetation of Poland”)
- 2000-2011 - Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies, University of Warsaw (“Biogeography”, “Bioindicative and laboratory methods of environment evaluation”, “Mazovian vegetation”)
- since 2002 - the University of Ecology and Management in Warsaw (“Landscape ecology”)
- 1979 – Mongolia - under the framework of the programme “Trans-Mongolia 1979” (research studies into relationships between vegetation and environmental factors, aboveground and underground biomass dynamics, spatial differentiation of vegetation cover)
- 1984 – Azerbaijan - under the framework of the Intercosmos programme (ground based verification of vegetation for the purposes of satellite image interpretation)
- 1985 – Russian – under the framework of Intercosmos programme (ground based verification of vegetation for the purposes of satellite image interpretation)
- 2006 – Russia – under the framework of e-LUP programme.
- 1990-2006 – numerous short-term expeditions and field studies carried out in the United States, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Russia, Germany.
Selected unpublished works
A list of unpublished works for the period 1982-2010 (pdf).
Rest area in Tobołowo, angling, photography (gallery).